Get to know the software
What is the openIMIS software?
openIMIS is an open-source platform which helps manage health financing processes. openIMIS seamlessly integrates the key stake holders into these processes: payers, beneficiaries and providers.
Being a global good, openIMIS is free to use, modify, and redistribute and is supported by a vibrant community of software developers, implementers and users.
What are the key features of the openIMIS software?
openIMIS is a web-based software that allows for seamless exchange of information between beneficiaries, health service providers and payers of a health financing scheme. The modular, highly customizable openIMIS software package helps manage:
benefit packages (services and prices)
service claims generation, review and processing
monitoring and data analysis
How does my organization benefit from using the openIMIS software?
If your organization manages a health financing scheme (scheme operator):
Digital beneficiary management and verification
- Digital claims submission and (automated) review
- Immediate access to all beneficiary and claims-related data and analysis
- No software license fees
- Access to new features for free
If your organization provides health services (health facility):
- Digital membership verification
- Immediate claims submission
- Instant feedback following claim review
- Data analysis
If your organization deploys digital tools (TA providers):
- Be a part of a global goods community of practice
- Work with tried and tested tools
- Quickly deploy field solutions
Which business case does openIMIS address?
The users of openIMIS are institutions paying for health care services, such as ministries of health or health insurance funds. Here are some examples:
- health insurances schemes
- national health systems (tax funded)
- output-based financing: RBF (Results Based Financing) and P4P (Pay for Performance)
- voucher schemes
All potential openIMIS scenarios share two characteristics: they enable strategic purchasing, and they contribute to achieving UHC.
Enable Strategic Purchasing
openIMIS is flexible and customizable for health systems moving towards UHC and strategic purchasing of services. By linking patient and provider data, it allows digital information flows and processing.
Contribution to Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and Social Protection.
openIMIS contributes to advancing the UN Agenda 2030 of Leaving No One Behind by addressing SDGs 1, 3, 9, 10, 16 and 17.